Monday, May 31, 2010

Owen's New Dresser

We needed a new dresser for Owen since the one we bought for him as a baby is too small. We looked at a lot of places and even online but every thing seemed so high priced for the particle board and laminate you get. Barry's parents left this dresser for us to use at the little house in Ririe after they moved out. Since they still don't have a need for it, we decided to repaint it and use it for Owen. It's pure wood without a bit of particle board so even being 30 or more years old it still is in good shap.

I worked on it in the garage. I used a product called Citristrip (citrus based stripper with low fumes and safe to use indoors) to get through the 2 layers of paint and layer of polyurethane on it. I wish I had before pictures but just imagine this being painted dark chocolate brown with chucks of wood broken off its edges and drawers. I had to apply the stripper 2 times to get all of it off. Then I used wood putty to fill in all the holes and sanded to get the primer to adhere well. I had some left over primer from the train table I made for Owen so I had the hardware store put some black in it so I'd only have to use one coat of black. Here are the results.


The drawer knobs are suppose to be here Thursday so I used a couple spare ones we had from our craft room project. They are antique brass which will really complete the look :)

1 comment: