Monday, November 7, 2011

This is Halloween!

Just read my sister-in-law's blog post about Halloween. She posted The Nightmare before Christmas song "This is Halloween" and since I cannot get it out of my head now (thanks Allison) I thought I should title my post the same.


I know I'm a little late posting about Halloween but as they say, "Better late than never." I posted last month a picture of the Harry Potter costume I made for Owen. Unfortunately my dreams of having a little boy to dress as Harry quickly vanished (I believe the spell is Evanesco) with the mention of one particular superhero, Robin.


You see Owen's finally made a best friend at school named Dillon and it has helped tremendously with getting him to like school. Owen absolutely loves being around Dillon and well, Dillon loves Batman. So every time when someone asked Owen who he was going to be for Halloween  he'd say, "I'm going to be Robin and Dillon, he's going to be Batman."


Finally I decided there was no way I was going to get Owen to wear his Harry Potter costume for Halloween. Good thing the sweater vest and tie can be worn to church He actually wore them a couple Sundays ago. He even plays with his wand every now and again. Fortunately the cloak is big enough that he could still wear it next Halloween (I can still hope, right?) or may be able to sell it on Etsy or eBay. Plus I figured it would be relatively inexpensive time-wise and money-wise to make him a Robin costume. 


I used this tutorial to make the super hero cape and this tutorial to make the Robin logo to put on the cape. I figured I could do better than the Robin logo she drew by hand and made available for download. I used the pen tool in Adobe Illustrator to trace an outline from an image of the Robin logo I found online. It was actually really easy because the Robin logo is mostly straight lines and ovals. After that I just printed it out, cut the felt using the pattern, and used iron-on adhesive to adhere the logo to the cape. I used the leftover fabric, felt and iron-on adhesive to make him Robin's utility belt (no tutorial needed for that one. :D )


I lucked out and found a solid long sleeve green shirt ($5) and a solid short sleeve red shirt ($2.50) at Walmart and the best part is they have been worn again as well. Though some people thought I should make Owen be Harry Potter anyway, you should have been there to see his smile when Dillon dressed as Batman exclaimed, "Owen you really are Robin! Come on Robin!" Plus Owen has worn the cape at home several times. So here is my little super hero!





No comments:

Post a Comment