Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Turning 5

Owen is a year older and Barry is getting more gray hair. Coincidence? I say not! I won't admit I had any part in it. Lol.

Owen turned 5 almost two weeks ago. As some of you know birthdays are a big deal in our family. I like to make them extra special for the birthday boy and decorate with his favorite character(s) or show. A couple months ago Owen wanted a Phineas and Ferb birthday. I had his cake all planned out and I was going to step up my cake decorating skills and try using fondant.

Well, with our little surprise addition and then Owen changing his mind and wanting an Angry Birds theme instead, I decided to simplify by serving glazed donuts instead of cake. We put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the center and had caramel and chocolate syrup toppings for the choosing. I must say keeping it simple made it much less stressful and I got to enjoy the party more.


I did keep with the mini-cake tradition. Owen had his very own donut cake! I was going to use his Angry Bird figures to decorate it but he wouldn't let me borrow them. We discovered that Owen really loves donuts. He had four donuts that day and two more each day for two days following since we had extra left over.

Of course Owen had a blast with his cousins. It is sure wonderful his boy cousins live close by and are the same age. The best part is that have become the best of friends. Just before his birthday he wanted to invite his best friends from school to his party. Being that it was a little too late I promised him next year we would do a friend party.



Owen really loves graphic t-shirts. Aunt Alicia and Uncle Josh sure scored big points with him. They gave him an Angry Birds in Space shirt! Owen wouldn't take it off for days. And Uncle David and Aunt Jen got him a Avengers shirt that he loves too.

The Tuesday after Grandpa and Grandma Vest took Owen to Toys R Us to pick out his present. He got a Mario remote control car and a play toolbox with tools. Then took him to dinner to a 50s themed diner. Owen really chowed down. He had an waffle, pancake, and a piece of bacon! Grandma said she had never seen Owen eat that much.

I wanted to show off my Angry Bird themed decorations. I usually order a banner and table cover but I couldn't find Angry Birds ones. I got an idea off a blog on how to make a banner and I had Owen help me glue it together. He was sure excited when he woke up the next morning to find it all finished and hanging up.



Instead of printing out things as shown on the blog, I decided it would be way easier just to use the Cricut with my Sure Cuts A Lot software. I cut out the letters in the Angry Birds font and I found the Angry Bird and Pig from this blog..

I think everything turned out pretty awesome! When I took down the banner, I put the Angry Bird and the Pig on Owen's bedroom wall. He loves them! I'm thinking about downloading and making the rest of the birds and the mustache pig to put up in his room. (Yeah right with all my free time. Lol!) Oh and if anyone local wants the eggs with the letters for a birthday party, I'm more than happy to give them to you.

Anyway, Happy Birthday My Owen! We love you so much and so grateful you are part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment