Thursday, November 8, 2012

Halloween 2012 - Emma's 1st Halloween

I learned my lesson from last year and waited until 2 weeks before Halloween to have Owen decide who/what he wanted to be for Halloween. Owen was introduced to Lego Star Wars last year. We'd play it and our other Lego video games together before Emma came. Anyway, Owen has been playing Lego Star Wars again so he wanted to be a Jedi knight. We decided on Obi-Wan Kenobi. 

The Friday before Halloween was Owen's Halloween celebration at school. They do a Halloween parade and invite all the parents to come. Here is Owen as Obi-Wan Kenobi after his Halloween parade at school. He didn't have his light saber since toy weapons are not allowed at school. 

Following the tutorial here (sleeve length modified by measuring a shirt of Owen's), 
a $5 dark brown twin sheet from Walmart (cloak),
a 1 yard of khaki broadcloth (tunic),  and
2 brown felt sheets fastened around with sew-on snaps
,
here is my young Obi-Wan Kenobi! 

I made his costume again this year. I remember my mom making my costumes and how loved I felt because she took that time. I hope Owen remembers the same. Unfortunately I didn't realize how little time I have currently so I had to wait to work on it after the kids were in bed. Next year I am going to buy them for sure!! Barry told me he'd let me spend $50 on just one if it didn't mean 5 nights (2 of which lasted after midnight) measuring, pinning, cutting, sewing, etc that resulted in a cranky, tired mom.

I was thrilled when I realized Emma for her 1st Halloween would be able to fit into the pumpkin costume Owen wore on his 1st Halloween! Here's a now and then to show my babies on their 1st Halloween!





On Halloween we went to a trunk-or-treat at our church. Normally a trunk-or-treat lasts 10 minutes. This year we combined with the other ward (church group) in our building and it took us 45 minutes! Owen got a great stash. Everyone thought Owen was so cool and recognized his costume right away. They all loved Emma and thought she was so cute. We got asked a lot if she could have candy and I told them to just put it in Owen's pumpkin bucket. LOL! Mom & Dad got their own stash! Here are some pictures from trunk-or-treating Halloween night. Afterward we drove to Idaho Falls to trick-or-treat at Grandpa & Grandma's house.





The Friday after Halloween there was trick-or-treating at my office. Owen was very confused about it. He'd say "But mom it's November!" He just learned about the months a couple weeks before. I don't know why they didn't hold it the Friday before either. We joked at work, "Well it was decided by corporate." I felt we were living an episode of "The Office." 



1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, those are the cutest costumes ever! I especially love seeing your children in the pumpkin costumes, so fun to see them both in the same one.

    ReplyDelete